Laser Tattoo Removal in Glenwood
Before Treatment Preparation.
Wash thoroughly. Shave the treatment area. Do not apply moisturizers, makeup, etc. containing alpha hydroxy acid. It is best to refrain from using topicals containing Benzoyl Peroxide, Hydroxy Acid, Retinol and Salicylic Acid three days prior to your treatment sessions. Use sunscreen SPF 30 or greater two weeks prior. (tanned and darker skin may result in more time between treatments.
When it comes to laser treatments and results, a clinic is only as good as the technology it uses. To ensure our patients receive the best care, treatments, and results, LifeStyle Laser has invested in the industry-leading Astanza Duality and ReSmooth lasers. Both of these technologies are trusted and revered by the leading physicians and laser providers around the world, including our Glenwood Springs, CO practice.
The Astanza Duality
The Astanza Duality is a powerful Q-switched Nd:YAG laser that is used primarily for laser tattoo removal. This advanced system emits two wavelengths, 1064 nm and 532 nm, that collectively target and remove a wide range of tattoo ink colors, including black and red pigments - two of the most popular colors found in the majority of tattoos. Both of these wavelengths are safe to use on all skin types I through VI. Unlike other lasers, the Duality features a homogenized square spot beam to safely and evenly distribute the laser’s energy across the skin. This avoids treatment overlap and minimizes the risk of unwanted serious side effects.
Furthermore, the Duality laser specifically targets unwanted ink deep within the dermis without harming any of the surrounding skin tissue. This FDA-approved laser uses ultra-quick pulses of light energy and powerful pulse energy to produce high peak power for ultimate ink shattering and faster ink clearance with each treatment.
Many patients see significant tattoo fading after one to two Duality laser sessions. In addition to complete tattoo removal, the Duality can also lighten tattoos for better cover-up tattoo application.
How does laser tattoo removal work?
Our Duality laser emits rapid pulses of light energy onto the unwanted tattoo. The tattoo ink particles absorb the light energy, heat up, and shatter into tiny fragmented particles that are naturally flushed out by your body’s immune system. This process is repeated over a series of treatments until no ink is left in the skin.
How many treatments will I need?
On average, patients will need 5 to 10 treatments for successful laser tattoo removal. Multiple treatments are required to target the multiple layers of ink that make a tattoo. Patients with old or faded tattoos may require as little as 3 to 4 treatments. It should be noted that the number of treatments needed is unique to each patient and their unique tattoo. Our staff of expert technicians will assess your tattoo during your free consultation and determine the number of treatments you will need based on a variety of factors including:
Does laser tattoo removal hurt?
At Lifestyle Laser, we use a combination of a super-strong numbing cream containing Benzocaine, Lidocaine and Tetracaine (the BLT) to numb the skin along with ice to cool and soothe the skin during treatments.
Laser tattoo removal is commonly compared to the sensation of a rubber band snapping against the skin. That being said, some patients find it very tolerable while others say it feels similar or greater pain than getting a tattoo applied. Whether or not the laser hurts depends entirely upon your pain threshold. Luckily, laser tattoo removal treatments are very fast and last anywhere from 1 to 15 minutes depending on the size of the tattoo being treated. Lifestyle Laser cooling methods to alleviate your skin and relieve some pain or discomfort.
Is laser tattoo removal safe?
Laser tattoo removal is the safest method for removing unwanted tattoos. Other methods of removal like salabrasion, excision, and acid injections are very invasive and almost always result in scarring. Tattoo removal creams are simply ineffective as they cannot reach deep into the dermis where the ink resides. Don’t waste your time or money on their false claims. Our FDA-approved Duality laser specifically targets the pigment in ink particles, leaving the surrounding skin tissue unharmed.
Are there any side effects?
The only side effects that patients may experience are temporary redness, swelling, itchiness, blistering, scabbing, and skin discoloration. With proper aftercare, all of these side effects will heal over the weeks following treatment. Blisters, although unsightly, are a common side effect of laser treatment and a good indication that your immune system is working to remove the shattered ink particles from your skin.
Can you lighten my tattoo for a cover-up?
Yes! Laser tattoo removal is the perfect tool for perfecting a cover-up tattoo. Most cover-up tattoos are often large and require twice the amount of ink to completely conceal an existing tattoo. Laser tattoo removal creates a cleaner canvas for tattoo artists to work on, giving them more flexibility in their application and more creativity with their design.
Can you remove only a specific part of my tattoo?
Absolutely, Lifestyle Laser can selectively remove a part of your tattoo while leaving the surrounding ink untouched. This is perfect for patients who want to remove script, shading, or smaller design elements from a bigger tattoo.
The DESCRIBE® PFD Patch, Four in One.
At Lifestyle Laser, we are very excited to provide laser tattoo removal treatments using the DESCRIBE® PFD Patch. This innovative laser tattoo removal accessory makes treatments faster, safer, and more effective compared to treatments without the Patch. With our combined training and the Astanza Duality Laser, we are the only laser tattoo removal clinic in the Glenwood and surrounding areas that is able to offer this four-in-one treatment.
What is the Patch?
The PFD Patch is a transparent, square silicone patch infused with a special non-toxic ingredient, Perfluorodecalin (PFD), that significantly speeds up the tattoo removal experience when compared to treatments without the Patch.
Laser Tattoo Removal Without the Patch
Traditional laser treatments consist of only one laser pass per treatment due to the laser frost effect that occurs immediately following a laser pulse. This white, bubbly laser frost effect, also known as epidermal whitening, is a gas bubble formation that inhibits penetration of additional laser light energy into the skin’s dermis and takes about 30 minutes to resolve, diminishing the efficacy of multiple laser passes. Traditional single-pass treatment paired with the minimum six to eight-week healing period between treatment sessions makes laser tattoo removal a very time-consuming process.
A Cleaner Slate in Fewer Treatments
The Patch dissolves gas and provides oxygen to the skin, effectively reducing laser frost and allowing up to 4x as many passes in a single treatment compared to traditional single-pass laser tattoo removal. With 4x as many passes per treatment session, our laser is able to shatter more ink in a single session, effectively speeding up the overall removal process compared to traditional laser treatment.
In addition to speeding up results, the Patch provides additional protection to your skin, minimizes the risk of unwanted side effects, and reduces discomfort and thermal injury, resulting in reduced healing time between treatment sessions.
Lifestyle Laser uses customized laser protocols for each unique tattoo and patient skin type as well as the revolutionary PFD Patch to deliver superior results. Our FDA-approved Duality laser delivers powerful ink shattering for faster fading and better results. Call Lifestyle Laser in Glenwood Springs, Colorado today or schedule a laser tattoo removal consultation!
Laser Tattoo Removal Aftercare
LifeStyle Laser uses advanced laser technology and the safest protocols to ensure your treatment’s success. We urge all patients to practice the same care for their skin outside of our clinic. Only proper aftercare can achieve the best results and outcome for your skin and removal. Every patient will be given detailed aftercare instructions following their treatment. Below are a few tips to keep in mind!
The tattoo removal laser treatment may create a superficial burn wound. Some patients may experience bruising or swelling. There is immediate whitening of the treated area, which usually lasts for several minutes. Many clients then develop blisters, crusts, or scabs within 8-72 hours, which may last for 1-2 weeks or more. The treated areas may be pink or pale after the scab separates. Scarring, which can be hypertrophic or even keloid, can occur but is very rare. Loss of skin pigment in the treated area can occur and is temporary except in very rare cases. Healing is usually complete within 4 weeks, although this may vary.
Note: Do not use moisturizers containing alpha hydroxy acid.
1. Keep the treated area clean and dry while it is healing. Treat it as an open wound. Clean the area gently with soap and water and then pat the area dry. You may apply a thin coating of antibiotic ointment up to three times a day for 3 days while the area is healing and you should keep the area covered with a sterile dressing for those 3 days.
2. Blistering is not common but is likely to occur 8 hours after your treatment. Do not be alarmed, blisters heal very well and are part of the normal healing process. Blisters indicate your body’s immune system is healing the area and beginning to remove the ink from your tattoo. It is natural for blisters to pop, and this helps the skin to heal faster in many cases. Continue to put antibiotic ointment (Neosporin) over the blisters once they have popped for at least 24 hours.
3. You may apply cool compresses as necessary for 24 hours after the laser treatment to help reduce discomfort and inflammation. You may take plain Tylenol, but avoid aspirin (it can increase the risk of bruising and/or bleeding.)
4. Do not pick at the scab or allow the skin to become scraped, as this may result in infection and scarring. Shaving should be avoided in the treated area until it is completely healed.
5. Feel free to shower 2 hours after the treatment, but take care to avoid high-pressure water hitting the treated area. Baths, hot tubs, swimming pools, or any form of soaking aren’t recommended until all blistering and scabbing are completely healed, as they may increase the risk of infection.
6. Exercise is generally safe after treatment, taking into account the other aftercare instructions provided here.
7. Wear a sunblock with an SPF of 25 or higher over the area for 3 months following the treatment. Do not wear makeup or any cream or medication on or near the treated area unless recommended by our office for 48 hours.
8. Itching is very common due to the dehydrating effect of the laser treatment. Use Aquaphor, vitamin E ointment, or hydrocortisone cream to the treatment area.
9. If the area looks infected (honey-colored crusting and oozing or spreading redness), if you experience an unusual discomfort or bleeding, if any other complications develop, or if you have any questions or concerns, contact your doctor immediately and our office second.
10. Of course, if you have any extreme reaction, call 911 and go to the emergency department.